By passing this law, fast food joints are forced to create healthier options for children. One of the most exciting parts of getting a Happy Meal when I was younger was seeing which kind of toy I would find in the bag. I can only imagine the decrease in sales once children across America realize they wouldn't receive a prize with their fast food anymore. This change will also make it easier for parents to steer their children towards healthier eating habits. It must be difficult for parents to say no to their child when a toy is involved. If fast food chains want to keep up, they must increase the nutrition in their meals. McDonald's has already jumped on the bandwagon. Recently they have added things like 2% milk, apples, and yogurt to Happy Meals in order to give children healthier options.
This law is one small step that could make a large impact on ending childhood obesity. Fast food is one of the major components of this pandemic because it is fast, cheap, and for the most part tasty. Children are getting hooked on it at an early age and the problem only progresses over time. Although it may seem untraditional and almost cruel to take the beloved kids' meal toys away from the children of America, it is an effective way to move towards ending childhood obesity.

I think this is a great way to cut down on obesity in children. The majority of kids only wanted to go to a fast food restaurant because they knew they would get something to play with after their meal. Eliminating the toys makes McDonald's just seem like another place to eat to a small child. Since the being overweight in American has become such a huge problem I think it is best for all fast food places to get rid of the toy that comes a long with the kids meal. Little children don't understand what that kind of food can do to them so I think it is unfair to lure them in with toys.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you, this is a good step towards weaning families away from fast food, and hopefully actions are followed to lure people to healthier places. When I was little I loved getting the toys in my meals and my brothers and I often fought over who had the best toy. I can only imagine this caused stress for my parents, not to mention having those cheap toys around the house only add clutter. If I were a kid again, I would have no desire to go to a fast food place if they didn't have toys, and would much rather go to an actual restaurant that had coloring or something. Rather than directing towards parents, they are now focusing on children, and its quite a good idea because children do actually have a lot of say when it comes to where they eat with their parents, whether the parents like to admit it or not.
ReplyDelete