Sunday, October 31, 2010

Speeding Through Your Studies

    
 While reading the online version of the Daily Campus, I stumbled upon an article about a man named Howard Berg. Howard Berg, the Guinness Book of World Record’s “World’s Fastest Reader”, has the amazing ability to read up to 80 pages of text in a single minute. Berg claims to have completed a four-year psychology program in one year, a graduate course in educational psychology in seven hours, and a six hour test in 50 minutes all due to his ability to read at such a fast pace. Because of his obvious success in using his technique, Berg has started his own speed reading program, which he claims will improve reading speed by 100%.

     Ever since I can remember, I have been a slow reader. I can do math problems quickly and with ease, but it will take me months to complete a novel of 500 pages. It’s not due to my lack of interest, but my inability to read at a quick speed. I have found this to be very frustrating in my first months in college. Studying and learning in college requires a large amount of reading, no matter the subject or class. In hopes of improving my ability to speed-read, I enrolled in Oracle at the beginning of the semester. I quickly learned that the class was focused more on improving study habits than the ability to read quickly. I ended up dropping the class, but I was still curious about potentially finding a way to teach myself how to quickly pick up information in order to better my college studies. I have always been skeptical of these speed-reading courses because I don't understand how something can completely alter the way someone has been reading for their entire life. I was excited to find a link in the article to a list of Berg’s introductory tips, and I plan to go over them soon. It will be interesting to see if these tips are beneficial. Faster reading will lead to better learning, something I know we could all use.


    Does speed reading seem like a scam to you? I never believed that a class or a tutorial could actually improve my reading speed. However, I see no harm in trying it. As they always say, "practice makes perfect!"

1 comment:

  1. This speed reading course looks like a waste of money to me. In fact, speed reading had a vogue period but it is out now. Most people read too fast, so they are not doing anything but looking at the words. Just read more, everyone, and the paths in your brain will find the shortcuts for you. You just have to focus on what you are reading. See Maryanne Wolfe of Tufts University for more about what I'm saying here.

    ReplyDelete