Sunday, October 31, 2010

Better Safe Than Sorry

    One of the lead stories in the news recently is the bombs found flying on passenger airplanes. The bombs were said to be designed to detonate themselves. Investigations are still being held on the exact origin of the bombs but are said to be linked to al Qaeda. Both of the packages were addressed to synagogues in Chicago. 
     This terrorist scare has affected everyone throughout the nation. The fear of flying that was once settled after September 11th has re-entered the minds of Americans. Luckily, I do not have to fly very often because I live a driving distance from home. However, I have several friends that do not have the same luxury. A friend of mine is flying to California next weekend and is terrified because of this recent outbreak. 

     It seems that with all the new advances in airport security someone would have been able to spot a self-detonating explosive. One of these new advances, the full-body scanner, could be a fool-proof alternative to airport security. However, this invention has caused much controversy throughout the American population. People are appalled that an airport security officer would be able to see their exposed body for safety precautions. Personally, I think my safety is worth a quick invasion of privacy.


 Hopefully this bomb scare will serve as a wake-up call for airport security world-wide. The threat of dangers on an airplane are far from over. People like the al Qaeda bombers are coming up with new ways to work around it. Many people complain about the hassle of going through security at an airport, but I have never seen my safety as a nuisance. I for one, am very thankful that airports go to such lengths to ensure our safety. My safety is worth taking a few extra minutes to search every person before entering a terminal.

1 comment:

  1. This is very unsettling to think that there are more bomb threats even after 911! I agree with you that the new advances in airport security should have been able to spot this. I feel like every time I go to the airport, there are new security provisions. We basically can't bring anything on the airplane. I live in Chicago and this is scary to think that I could have been on one of these planes.

    ReplyDelete